Wednesday 13 April 2011

What will Princess Catherine choose?

I am inordinately excited about what the newly invented Princess Catherine will wear for the Royal Wedding in just a few weeks time. There has been speculation that she will wear Alexander McQueen and because she is a modern princess I would love to see her in a label like this, known for it's drama. Yet I suspect that even if this bride ever had daring styling tendencies, they will have been dumbed down by a sense of decorum. I hope I am wrong.

To be fair there is so much choice for brides that I can only imagine how hard it is when it comes down to it. You can see my own favourite, multiple personality wedding style below.

Elegant waists...


Here, above, Brigitte Bardot in casual pink gingham Jacques Esterel and below, Dita von Teese in voluminous Vivienne Westwood. Both dresses rely on boning and structure to emphasise tiny waists and are endlessly flattering.

Lace and Edging

Nicole Kidman (above) wore Nicolas Ghesquiere for Balenciaga for her wedding. The dress was delicately detailed, and it's turn of the century style sleeve was reminiscent of Tess of the d'Urbervilles. The exquisite lacework of another dress I am in love with belonged to the original Queen of Hearts, Grace Kelly. First and foremost a silver screen icon, her dress was aptly designed by MGM designer Helen Rose.

A modern legend in bridalwear design, Vera Wang, was the chosen designer of the dress for Avril Levigne's wedding in 2006. From the scalloped edges in Grace Kelly's veil to those on the bodice and skirt of Avril's dress you can see how mastery of an elegant detail like this can soften the image of even the most tomboyish.


Tailoring

I am most enamoured by this outfit. It reminds me so much of Ossie Clark's pattern-cutting that I can hardly believe he didn't design it himself. In fact this was a Mainbocher creation. The label also designed a further 66 pieces in the wedding trousseau which were accessorised with Schiaparelli and Chanel. Lucky girl!




Bianca Jagger married Mick Jagger in a sharp, white Yves Saint Laurent suit that although eminently stylish can only be pulled off by the slimmest bride. Daring in her omission of a top!


I think the only approach is to adopt what I call 'The Elizabeth Taylor Principle' - have lots of weddings, chose a totally different look every time! I wonder what Princess Catherine would say to that. But then, I think I might know that already.

Elizabeth Taylor wears an Irene Sharaff shift dress (Sharaff was the costume designer on Taylor's 1963 film Cleopatra).

No comments:

Post a Comment